To Hell With Normal

24 Mar

To Hell With Normal

letter OOoh, the adventures we had this past weekend. Not to put too fine a point on it, I took the big kids to the inaugural Silicon Valley Comic Con. On balance, the experience was not a new one for them. Last year I took them to the Star Wars Celebration (and have yet to blog about it. Can you believe it?) where they got a full dose of what it means to do a convention. The only thing that could have been bigger would be the San Diego Comic Con, and that’s still a few years off for them.

Prepare Yourselves

After posting pictures of our shenanigans on Facebook, my old Jr. High English teacher and life-long mentor, Kitty, left the comment: “YOU S#@$$%! How will your kids ever turn out “normal”? That’s right, they won’t. They’ll be extraordinary! Love ya.”

The kids got to meet Kitty earlier this year. "How did you like her, kids?" "She's super cool, but she has a potty mouth." "Yes. Yes she does."

The kids got to meet Kitty earlier this year. “How did you like her, kids?” “She’s super cool, but she has a potty mouth.” “Yes. Yes she does.”

Let’s just say Kitty shares my distain for all things “normal”.

Sharing vodka on the rocks with the woman who, 28 years ago, taught me a healthy disdain for authority.

I have no intention of giving my kids a “normal” childhood. I want their childhood to be AMAZING. This entire blog is dedicated to chronicling the pursuit of “amazing” while infusing them with a firm grasp of perspective and social-competence which, to my thinking, is the only really valuable component of “normal”.

Meeting The Shat

Meeting The Shat

When I learned that William Shatner was going to be signing autographs at the convention, I knew that it would be an experience my classic Star Trek-loving daughter would appreciate. Add that to the fact that Stan Lee would be making one of his last-ever public appearances (the guy is 94 after all) and I knew I would regret it if I passed up the opportunity.

OMG! Stan Lee!!

OMG! Stan Lee!!

So this past Saturday I loaded Episodes IV and V into the car and drove them to the San Jose Convention Center for a day of geek-tasticness. The show did not disappoint. The cosplayers were in full-force. The kids got to play with some virtual reality rigs, talk to the local R2D2 Builders Club chapter, spend their allowance money on super-nerdy collectables and on and on…

VRIV

R2s

There was even a bonus that we weren’t expecting. For the past few weeks my 7yo Episode V has been working his way through the book “The Martian” (because you can’t watch the movie unless you’ve read the book first). As we were waiting in line to meet The Shat(ner), Episode V was flipping through the convention program. Suddenly he went white and started shaking, pointing to a picture in the program, “Daddy! Daddy! Look! Andy Weir is here. Andy Weir is here!!”

andy

Andy Weir is the author of “The Martain”… the book that my 7yo has proclaimed as his favorite book of all time. So of course we had to make sure that connection was made. I tell you, Episode V was more excited to meet Andy Weir than he was for Captain freakin’ Kirk – and props to him for realizing early that authors are cooler than television/movie actors.

Got it

So here’s to all the parents out there doing everything they can to make their kids’ childhoods amazing. Say it with me now:

To hell with “normal”!

5 Responses to “To Hell With Normal”

1. pensitivity101 March 24, 2016 at 10:15 am #

Happy kids. Love it.

2. Fred Christensen March 24, 2016 at 12:12 pm #

Nice’

Dad

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 10:05 AM, Dorkdaddy.com wrote:

> dorkdad posted: ” Ooh, the adventures we had this past weekend. Not to > put too fine a point on it, I took the big kids to the inaugural Silicon > Valley Comic Con. On balance, the experience was not a new one for them. > Last year I took them to the Star Wars Cel” >

3. Tales from the Dad Side March 24, 2016 at 1:55 pm #

Oh yeah bollocks to normal. That’s never fun.
    Without doubt that looks like one of the greatest days had, ever. Lee, Shatner, R2…. Just all mind blowing.
    Do you accept requests to be adopted?

That was a lovely read, thanks for sharing.
    X

4. kjysten March 24, 2016 at 2:47 pm #

What a deal – a real two-fer. I still remember when I sat, enthralled, within touching distance from Patrick Stewart at an English convention and watched him morph into ALL of Shakespeare’s kings – I swear – her grew and shrank! What memories those kids will have. :>

5. memyselfandkids.com March 25, 2016 at 3:15 pm #

Sounds like an awesome time. Glad they got so much out of it.
    Their smiles are huge.