Dear Sephora

6 Nov

Dear Sephora Header

letter A text message flashed across my phone yesterday. It was a snapshot of a magazine ad my wife ran across that day… a magazine ad that my daughter had clearly come across earlier, and felt compelled to leave her social commentary for anyone else who should stumble upon it. This is what she saw:

dear Sephora

In case you need help translating 3rd grade handwriting it says,

“This lady is ugly. I think you should wear makeup if you want to, not ’cause you have to. Don’t over-do it.”

My daughter may be opinionated. She may be bossy. She may be dramatic. But nobody can say she doesn’t have a strong self-esteem, and there is nothing a young woman needs more, growing up in the world we live in, assaulted on all sides by magazine ads like this, than a strong self-esteem.

Way to push back, honey. You tell ’em what real beauty is. That’s my girl.

9 Responses to “Dear Sephora”

1. pensitivity101 November 6, 2014 at 9:37 am #

Good for her! Couldn’t agree more.

2. thehonkinggoose November 6, 2014 at 10:27 am #

Love it!

3. Kami November 6, 2014 at 11:39 am #

What a smart girl you have there DorkDaddy! Impressive! I love that she commented in real life for others to see!

4. Nikita November 6, 2014 at 2:24 pm #

I love that she realized something that takes some people years to understand – wear make up because you want to, not because you think you have to. Awesome!

I do want to say (and please don’t be offended by this), calling the woman in the photograph ugly isn’t fair. Obviously this is a campaign for make up so they’d overdo it and it’s not what most of us would consider attractive. However, there are people out there who love make-up and wear it because they want to and maybe they’re “over-doing” it but that doesn’t make them ugly. In fact, calling anyone ugly isn’t nice unless they’re acting ugly. 🙂 Now, I won’t pretend that I’ve never called someone ugly. And again, I’m not trying to call out your daughter, just pointing out how the media/society has made even children somewhat superficial. She’s light-years ahead of most girls at that age so go her for having the self-confidence it takes most of us till our 20s to find! Bossy and opinionated are great traits and don’t let anyone tell her otherwise!

• dorkdad November 6, 2014 at 3:07 pm #

Yeah. We had that conversation with her. She didn’t mean the lady was ugly. She meant the makeup was ugly. In third grade the verbiage is the same, even if the intent isn’t.

• Nikita November 6, 2014 at 3:35 pm #

Well in that case I retract my earlier spiel!

5. kjysten November 6, 2014 at 5:33 pm #

You go girl. Good sense of balance. Those ads are offensive to me, too. I’ll bet the kid in the picture is only 14 – that’s the age of a lot of print models today. The best makeup is discrete, well balanced, and natural!
    ! :>

6. larva225 November 12, 2014 at 6:30 am #

That’s rad. My husband and I were shoe-shopping the other day. The selection of high-heels for little girls (toddler sizes, damn it!) made my blood-pressure soar. WTH is wrong with people?!

7. Debra Carnes February 4, 2015 at 10:43 am #