There Are Moments

4 Sep

from

letter There are moments.

There are moments when you feel the indelible stamp of history. There are moments when you know that this instant in time is a memory being made. There are moments where you feel so strongly the tight threads of family that connects us through time. You see the little hand in yours and you feel what it means to be a proud father. Then you see the other little hand in his hand and you feel what it means to be a proud son.

photo 2

When my father, my son and I all held hands I felt the enormous weight of the present and the tremendous responsibility of being there… of being there then, in that moment, feeling it and sharing it for what it was, right there and then. I thought of how proud I am to share my children with my parents, and of how proud he was to share us with his.

I thought of how I missed my father’s father – of how I missed his old, tired, weathered hands which I held and knew so well, now some 20 years gone, and I dedicated a few steps to the memory of him, the missing man from our hand-linked chain of history. I thought of how much my father must miss him, sharing his children and his children’s children with his own father, and I related to my father as the son of a man deeply loved. I looked over at my father, holding my son’s hand and I dared to hope that someday my son will want to share his children with me. I imagined what it would be like to someday hold my son’s son’s hand in the same way, and I related to my father as the father of a son deeply loved.

photo 1

You cannot fight the relentless progression, and it is just as right to feel the stinging absence of those long gone as it is to anticipate with joy those memories to come. But it is the moment, THIS moment, in the here and now, this is what we live for.

10 Responses to “There Are Moments”

1. Fred Christensen September 4, 2014 at 5:01 pm #

Thanks,Dad

2. kjysten September 4, 2014 at 5:32 pm #

Remember Joseph Campbell….Follow your bliss. Give thanks for every moment. :>

• Mom of Dork September 4, 2014 at 7:56 pm #

Kitty…..who taught this “boy” to write?

3. MarkESecko (@MarkESecko) September 4, 2014 at 5:44 pm #

Very profound yet true. I never met my grandfather who passed away before I was born. I would have loved to have met him!!

4. Charlotte September 4, 2014 at 7:35 pm #

Sweet

5. Anonymous September 4, 2014 at 9:06 pm #

Loved the manner in which you conveyed your thoughts, feelings, and love!

6. Evie Bolante September 4, 2014 at 9:07 pm #

Sorry, hit the button too soon!

7. teachezwell September 4, 2014 at 9:14 pm #

That is a tender moment indeed. Thanks for sharing a wonderful image of fatherhood.

8. pensitivity101 September 4, 2014 at 11:55 pm #

Lovely post, I felt the warmth, charm, and love reaching across the generations.
    I miss my Dad more than ever now, after 18 years. So many precious moments. We have 5 living generations in our family, but they will never be as close as the relationship you portray here.

9. Karen October 21, 2014 at 4:51 am #

So sweet. I still remember holding my dads hands when he was teaching me how to ice skate. I remember they were so big and warm. Thanks for taking me back to that memory.