Supes or Bats — Who’s The Better Father?

7 Jun

letter yYesterday the boys over at HowToBeADad crossed a line. They worked up a clever little post they titled “5 Reasons Batman Would Be A Better Dad Than Superman.” You can imagine the fallout. Commenters on their blog and dadbloggers in our dadblogging Facebook group split right down party lines, and the debate continues.

hywiv8J

***

But from the ashes emerged a group of Super-Dadblogger-Heroes to bring order to the chaos. Defenders of Truth, Justice and the Fatherhood-way rose up to challenge the grave crimes perpetrated against fatherhood by the unholy alliance of Charlie Capen and Andy Herald. Those three champions, Alan Kercinik (the brain behind “Always Jacked” and contributor to this blog as a Guest Dorkdad), Ron Mattocks (chief power behind the blog “Clark Kent’s Lunchbox“) and DorkDaddy himself have come forward because in times like these, when evil is on the rise and everything seems in doubt, the world needs true heroes.

it's on

***

Your champions have orchestrated a three-pronged response to HowToBeADad’s evil master plan. This morning team captain Ron Mattocks’s “A Letter To Batman From His Son” is the first response of three to come from Team ClarkKent’sLunchbox.

Dear Father Bruce,

I am writing this letter to you as part of my anger management treatment which, of course, you know the court mandated. Dr. Friskin, my therapist, thought this would be a good way to constructively work through my feelings. Honestly, though, I don’t even know where to begin. I guess my biggest question are all why. Why did you want me? Why did you fight my mother for full custody in the divorce? And why did you think you could ever be a father to me given your dual identity?

I want to believe that as a baby our family was happy one, but over the years I’ve realized that it couldn’t have been if Mother left you so soon after I was born. Did you even love one another? I guess it all didn’t matter after one of those freaks–what’s his name, Penguin–killed her. Listen to myself; a bird man murdered my mom with a stupid trick umbrella, and that’s not even the most bizarre part! That would be that my dad dresses up as a bat to fight other such loonies around Gotham City, in alternate dimensions, and God only knows where else! << click here to read the full letter >>

***

Fear not, true believers. Truth and justice will prevail. Stay tuned.

In the meanwhile, please share your thoughts below in the comments about who you think would make a better father, Superman or Batman, and why.

LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD!!

6 Responses to “Supes or Bats — Who’s The Better Father?”

1. The Cutter June 7, 2013 at 10:24 am #

I can’t believe this is even a debate. While Superman has done some dickish things in his time, at least he legitimately tries to be a good guy and stand for all that is right. I have to assume that would carry over into the area of fathership.

On the otherhand, Batman has shown his absolute dedication to fighting crime. He is 100% singleminded in purpose. He would probably forget he even has a child. The kid’s only hope is that Alfred would end up raising the kid himself.

2. Nikita Pitkar June 7, 2013 at 10:41 am #

Very interesting question. I posed it to a few work friends. Right now, me and another girl think Superman would be a better father because he has always been all about trying to figure out who he is, where he came from while dealing with the fact that his planet was destroyed. Additionally, assuming that both batman and superman spend an equal amount of time fighting evil, batman has to spend a large part of his time training and developing his gadgets whereas superman’s talents are within. Therefore, Superman would have a lot more time to spend with a child than batman.

A guy at work thinks that batman would make a better father because of his anonymity. Superman raising a child would turn much like the celeb kids — fame ruins your chances at a normal life.

3. Animockery June 7, 2013 at 11:08 am #

I think that this is a loaded question. Who would be the better father? That is hard to say, I know that both would likely be terrible fathers in the long run. Both have double lives, both have struggled to define who they are and both have some seriously high standards. If I had to choose between the two I would say Superman. Not because he is my favored hero but because he seems to have a stronger moral foundation and had a great set of foster parents to love him and teach him. His experience with ma and pa Kent would be the advantage to parenting since he could build off what they did for him as parents. It is not to say that the Waynes were bad parents but they did not get to live long enough to see their son into adulthood.

4. Sammy J June 7, 2013 at 12:22 pm #

The question is not whether Superman or Batman would be a good father but would Clark Kent or Bruce Wayne been a good father. The answer of course is Clark Kent. Kent and Wayne both hid the true identity of themselves as much as possible (so neither one is a wimmer there). Kent was raised by loving foster parents on a farm where he grew up with a work ethic and morals that are commonplace in the midwest. Wayne grew up in Gotham in privilege (not that privilege makes you a bad parent) without getting to know his parents. [point for Kent] Kent has always tried to connect his past with his present and has always strived towards being a decent “person”. Wayne is a deep and dark brooder who is angry at the world. [Point for Kent]. Finally as mentioned earlier Kents powers were genetic while Waynes were not. [Point for Kent because what kid would not want to have super powers]

Honestly in Dad ranking Wayne is worse than David Bannister, a nice helpful intelligent guy with a serious anger problem, and quite a bit better than Annakin Skywalker who was an absent father to two kids and wore a scary mask at all times. Not to mention tried to kill his own son…

5. klyse3 June 7, 2013 at 5:57 pm #

Well, I think I have to agree with the commenter above who said they would both be horrible dads. However, for argument’s sake, clearly Clark Kent would be the better father. Values, honor, all that. Batman is dark and a little disturbed.

6. obvious April 14, 2015 at 8:36 pm #

Old post, but how is this even a question? Bruce is the adopted father of 3 + Damian as biological or half clone or whatever. Even Todd has turned out ok on the balance.

Just look at bat’s and grayson’s relationship for father and son. Batman truly smokes superman here