Wasted Opportunity

5 Nov

his weekend we had a family event planned that required maximum cooperation from all three children. Since the event was planned for the end of the day at the end of the weekend it was in everyone’s interest that all three children were as rested as possible. The kids were already frayed around the edges from the exhausting Halloween week, so UnDorkMommy and I launched our strategy to get all three kids a nap. The baby wasn’t going to be a problem. The challenge was with the two older kids.

“OK, you two.” I said, looking both of them in the eye with my most serious face. “If BOTH of you take a good nap — and I mean a real eyes-shut-lights-out-all-the-way-asleep-having-a-dream kind of nap — when you wake up Mommy and I will give each of you not one, but *TWO* pieces of Halloween candy.”

That was enough. With little resistance both Episode IV and V were nestled under the covers, Jellycat and Bobo tucked under their arms, with the lights out. I quietly closed Episode IV’s door just as UnDorkMommy finished getting the baby down.

…and for one glorious moment in time all three of my children were asleep in their beds, at the exact same time in the middle of the day.

At first neither UnDorkMommy nor I knew what to do with ourselves. But we figured it out pretty quick. I put on my best “come hither” face and said to my beautiful wife,

“So, are you thinking what I’m thinking?”

“Yeah,” she said with an excited sparkle in her eye. “You empty the dishwasher, I’ll rotate the laundry.”

Oh yeah, baby. You know how I like it.

45 minutes later Episode IV was up and the moment was lost.

/epicfail

7 Responses to “Wasted Opportunity”

1. jnine0712 November 9, 2012 at 10:31 am #

Sounds like our house minus one kid. Seriously, my husband just was lamenting about this this past morning.

• dorkdad November 9, 2012 at 11:17 am #

@ Jnine – Was he lamenting the lack of peace and quiet, or the lack of… er, um… something else?

-DD

• jnine0712 November 9, 2012 at 11:57 am #

Considering he is a guy and usually has one thing on his mind. I will leave you that, lol 🙂

2. Kathryn November 9, 2012 at 10:47 am #

My hubby has it rough like you as well! haha

• dorkdad November 9, 2012 at 11:17 am #

@ Kathryn – I don’t have it rough. My wife is WAAAY above my station in life. I have it great. She’s the one who has it rough. She’s the one who’s stuck with me.

-DD

3. Amy November 16, 2012 at 6:59 am #

Bummer, dude. If the stars ever again align for an “all nap”, remember this: 45 minutes is plenty of time to rotate the laundry, empty the dishwasher, and “come hither.” Twice!

• dorkdad November 16, 2012 at 2:05 pm #

Twice? That means spending 1/2 my monthly allotment in one go. I’ll have to give some serious thought to the pros and cons on that one.

(;